Sunday 20 March 2016

A Victorian Constitutional

As spring has finally decided to spring after a dismal winter of storms and floods, I decided to venture out of my hibernation and take a bit of a stroll to an ancient 'monument' not too far away, of course, taking sketchbook and camera. After having got over the initial awkwardness of going for a walk by myself, I hoped that getting out of the house for a while would lift my slightly melancholy spirits and make me think more positively.  I am not a walker or outdoor type and sometimes feel that living in the Lake District I am a bit of a fraud as every other person here seems to be an avid walker, sailor, mountain climber, cyclist, canoeist or general outdoor action person and I often feel lazy and inadequate in comparison.  I don't even have a dog!!

So I trekked off through the lovely and very quiet National Trust owned Eaves Wood and climbed towards the Victorian folly of the Pepperpot, built in 1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's jubilee.  This very strange little creation stands on top of a limestone pavement looking out over Morecambe Bay and being a clear day, I could even see Blackpool Tower.  I sat for a while making sketches and indeed felt quite hot when the sun shone for long enough.  I was lucky enough to have the Pepperpot all to myself and at one point I did wonder where everybody was and if there was something I should know about going on! 




I had intended to go back the way I'd come for fear of getting lost!  However, throwing caution to the wind, I made a bit of a detour through a gate telling me there was stock grazing (there was not)! but I was glad I did as I eventually encountered the glorious Beech Circle walk, loving landscaped by Victorian gardeners enabling our ancestors a leafy meander with glorious views.

The Pepperpot

Beech Circle
Yes, getting out in the fresh air made me feel much better.  I must do it more often and stop worrying that I do not have the right walking boots or trainers or whatever other gear I'm supposed to have.  It really doesn't matter - I just need to get out there! 




No comments:

Post a Comment